|(Gilgamesh) Fryte Avarise||Twitch|
|(Faerie) Eydis Darkbane||Twitch|
|(Faerie) Elevation Xx||YouTube||Twitch|
|(Adamantoise) Tsundere Imouto||YouTube||Twitch|
|(Leviathan) Nemekh Kinryuu||YouTube||Twitch|
General Information & About The Guide
Welcome to our Summoner guide for Final Fantasy XIV Shadowbringers 5.10!
Here you will find our most current information on how to play Summoner at a high & respectable level.
This guide has been co-written by the authors above who actively play & collectively share a wealth of high end raiding & theorycrafting backgrounds in FFXIV & several games before it. We can all be found hanging out in the Summoner channels at The Balance Discord.
The content has been approved for The Balance use & will be maintained here on Akhmorning.com.
Summoner has always been a caster known for its unique playstyle among casters with its pets, DoTs & ability cooldown management while being one of the kings of AoE damage. Previously a job of considerable depth, it has since been streamlined with our choice of which pet to use given the situation & the change to a more fixed cooldown style of play with our on demand burst actions of Fester & Painflare.
Early on in leveling it is a job with a more constant source of AoE with Emerald Carbuncle/Garuda-Egi than others, while having a degree of sustain in overworld content with Titan-Egi later on though note: pets cannot tank for us anymore! Ifrit is now our egi of choice for single target encounters.
We remain a strong job to learn new encounters on given our on demand mobility & raising potential, especially with Trances shaving 2.5s off cast times to allow for a ~5.5s cast Resurrection instead of 8s. Titan’s Earthen Armor also allows us to play with a safety net as healers & us both become used to new encounters.
The job has also has a history of being perceived as an intimidatingly complicated “galaxy brain” job to play, so we are here to help address that to show that it’s much easier by providing & explaining a roadmap on how to play the latest iteration of the job to its fullest.
Latest [5.10] Changes for Summoner
- Ruin IV increased to 300p from 260p.
- Miasma III increased to 50p/tick & 50p on hit damage from 40p/tick & 40p on hit.
- Bio III increased to 50p/tick from 40p.
- Outburst increased to 90p/target at Lv. 76.
- Dreadwyrm Trance cooldown reduced to 55s from 60s.
- Firebird Trance cooldown reduced to 55s from 60s.
- Tri-disaster no longer has Ruination but 300p on hit instead.
- Painflare reduced to 130p/target from 150p.
- Bane spreads 40% strength targets to all targets around the source.
- Bane snapshots buffs & debuffs at time of use, not time of DoT application.
- Bane at Lv. 78+ refreshes DoTs to spread targets for max duration 100% of the time.
- Melee pet scaling increased to match caster pets for + ~71% damage.
- Egi Assaults are instant GCDs & have had a considerable potency boost.
- Ifrit & Titan’s Enkindles increased to 300p on hit from 200p.
- Titan’s Earthen Armour shield has increased to 30% of max hp from 20%.
- Everlasting Flight duration increased to 21s from 20s guaranteeing 7 ticks.
- Bahamut can now execute Wyrmwave immediately after being summoned.
- Parameters of enemies in ACN & SMN quests have been adjusted to be easier.
- Strong incidental cleave with Deathflare, Brand of Purgatory, Revelation & Akh Morn.
- Strong Damage over Time with Tri-disaster, Miasma III & Bio III.
- Brand of Purgatory & Bane’s aoe range of 8y reach targets most aoes cannot.
- Is one of the safest jobs to learn encounters on with Titan’s Earthen Armor.
- High mobility with Egi Assaults, Ruin IV, Ruin IV, instant cast GCDs during Trances & Ruin II
- Brings utility in the forms of Addle, Devotion & the invaluable Resurrection.
- Provides the party an additional window of appreciable sustain with Everlasting Flight.
- The only job that gets to Summon Bahamut & Phoenix!
- Rotation can be regarded as somewhat clunky & rigid.
- Not as downtime friendly compared to prior expansions with Trances & Energy Drain.
- Trance cooldowns at 55s will be confusing to inexperienced players.
- Pet AI is a source of frustration with pet actions being inconsistent.
- Movement interferes with Demi Summon actions which can result in a dps loss.
- Mobility with Ruin II is a dps loss.
In dungeon content, Extremes & Normal raids, Summoner more than holds its own.
In Savage, having a caster for Addle is strong given the amount of magic raidwide AoEs which when combined with the aforementioned perks makes us a popular choice for Progression.
Thanks to the welcome changes in 5.10 Summoner has become more of a tour de force with its increased damage potential & being easier to play in typical encounters thanks to the extra free mobility from Egi Assaults, the Trance cooldown reduction potentially allowing more GCDs for movement while keeping to alignment & being able to use Ruin IVs more freely after Bahamut.
Summoner is in a much better place to be picked up for raiding & really shines in The Epic of Alexander (Ultimate) around the corner with the multi-target phases.
We’re hopeful that while there have been dwindling SMN play numbers on encounters in general, as can be seen on my other site rankings.akhmorning.com, that Summoner numbers will be healthier from now onwards.
- 22/12/2019: 5.10 Rotation, TEA optimisation, Combat Resource pages added. Many more changes.
- 15/11/2019: Demi-Summon page updated for 5.10. Tweaks to other pages. More WIP.
- 06/11/2019: Intro page updated. Tweaks to other pages.
- 04/11/2019: Opener page update completed for 5.10.
- 01/11/2019: 6th & 5th GCD Summon Bahamut openers added. Tweaks to other pages.
- 18/10/2019: Starting Off added, tweaks to other pages, changing “Clip” to “Hold” method
- 22/09/2019: Intro, Demi-Summon, Role Actions pages ported over & updated