|(Zodiark) Tsutsumi Tsumi||Twitch|
|(Cerberus) Furst Blumier||Twitch|
With original contributions from Laqi Thish, Caro Kann, Rika Vanih & maintenance by Nemekh.
General Information & About The Guide
Welcome to the Black Mage guide for Final Fantasy XIV Shadowbringers 5.20!
Here you will find our most current information on how to play Black Mage at a high & respectable level.
This guide has been co-written by the authors above who actively play & collectively share a wealth of high end raiding & theorycrafting backgrounds in FFXIV. They can be found hanging out AkhMorning’s Discord.
The content will be maintained here on Akhmorning.com.
Black Mage is probably best described as the most casting heavy of the caster jobs. The job is unique as a DPS in that all of its damage is from its GCDs.
The basic rotation involves spending MP in Astral Fire for high damage spells and switching into Umbral Ice to recover MP. While it lacks in the burst phases seen with the other two casters, what Black Mage offers is consistently high damage over the entire encounter.
Black Mage in 5.x is very similar to how it was in Stormblood, with its new additions and changes smoothing out the rotation and downtime as well as giving it a powerful instant cast every thirty seconds in the form of Xenoglossy.
The job has a very simple base rotation, however, players will quickly find that due to random procs or mechanics they will be required to adapt on the fly to continue their rotation successfully.
With this guide we hope to help players gain a deeper understanding of the job and the options they can take when faced with different situations.
Latest [5.20] Changes for Black Mage
- Foul’s Potency reduction after the first enemy is now fixed at 25%.
You can read the 5.20 patch notes here.
Black Mage Strengths
- Core rotation is simple and easy to understand.
- Offers strong DPS that is not reliant upon party composition.
- Has a low amount of oGCDs which makes double weaving nearly non-existent.
- Brings a small amount of raid utility in the form of Addle.
- Manaward brings excellent survivability, especially when learning new fights.
- Powerful resources such as Triplecast and Xenoglossy for burst movement.
Black Mage Weaknesses
- It is the only caster without a resurrection spell, which can make it unpopular for progression.
- Movement being tied to resources means it can cause issues when resources are stretched.
- Losing GCD uptime is a drastic DPS loss – this makes the job quite punishing as a result.
- Benefits from certain unique strategy adjustments as suboptimal strategies can lead to a loss in GCD uptime.
Black Mage Viability
Black Mage offers both high single target and AoE DPS.
Its ability to perform well without relying on party buffs means that it is one of the best choices for not only 4-man duties but also uncoordinated parties such as those generally found within Duty Finder or Party Finder.
While the job’s lack of a resurrection spell can damper its popularity in both Savage and Ultimate, it is still amongst the hardest hitting jobs in the game.
This high damage alongside the value of a second Addle makes it increasingly popular to bring a Black Mage to raid as a second caster over a second melee or physical ranged.
- 13/06/2020: Black Mage section added